Saturday, July 16, 2011

Anyone Suffering from Chronic Hives?

This is actually going to be some advice for those people who have suffered with chronic hives for a long time. I had (idiopathic urticaria) hives with no known cause for over 2 years. I lived off of antihistimines and steroids(medrol dose packs and prednisone) and was in and out of the emergency room when I had outbreaks all over my body. I had been given the run around by all types of drs. And I was even given meds for what they believed was a stress disorder. I even had a blood test done for allergies but everything came back fine. I was unable to get the skin test because they ask you to come off of your medications for like a week before the test. And there was no way i could. I had to work and go to school. If i did that I'd look like a monster. But I eventually found a good ENDOCHRINOLOGIST and they found that i have hyperthyroidism/GRAVES DISEASE and the way that my body reacted to the disruption in my thyroid function was externally through hives. I had a blood test at this physicians office and they confirmed that the thyroid levels were too high and put me on Methimazole to help slow down thyroid hormone production. I slowly took myself off of the antihistimines and am taking only the methimazole now. I have been taking the medicine only a month or so and feel much better in some ways. I still feel tired and have a very hard time keeping weight on, but at this point i am not having to worry about hives. I just hope that someone who has the same problem will read this and find some hope here. Don't let a dr tell you that nothing is wrong with you. You know your body best and you know when something is wrong. I went through countless dr's and missed opportunities because of what I was suffering with, with no answers. Dont lose hope and keep looking until you get help.

No comments:

Post a Comment